Afghan Legal Representation Project (ALRP) Immigration Attorney (Temporary/Full-Time/Remote position)
IILA has a proud heritage in defending the rights of immigrants and immigration legal services have been part of our mission since our founding in 1914. We have participated in virtually every refugee and immigration program of the modern era, including the Silva Letter, Cuban Adjustment, NACARA, dreamers/DACA, and numerous other cases. In 2016, we were proud to join in an Amicus brief filing in the important and successful case of Santos M. regarding SIJS issues in California Courts.
IILA’s Refugee Resettlement Program is working hard to resettle hundreds of Afghans who arrived between October 2021 and February 2022 in Los Angeles County and surrounding counties. The Afghan Legal Representation Project (ALRP) is a six-month minimum project which will assist Afghan clients to apply for asylum, TPS, AOS and complete SIV applications that may be at different stages of the process or apply for other kinds of relief. We are hiring an ALRP Immigration Attorney for a six-month minimum temporary contract, with the possibility of extending the contract for up to a year.
The ALRP Immigration Attorneys will work under the supervision of the ALRP Division Director and will work with a team of pro bono attorneys, as well as collaborate with IILA’s tight-knit, dynamic, hardworking, passionate and committed Immigration Legal Services team and the Refugee Resettlement Case Managers. The right candidate will value collaboration and will also have the ability to work independently, as s/he will be working largely remotely but will be required to attend in-person meetings at the IILA office and/or other work-related locations (i.e., USCIS offices).
The ALRP Immigration Attorney will provide immigration legal representation for Afghan clients in a high-volume setting, which includes asylum, TPS, completion of SIV cases, adjustments of status, special immigrant juvenile status, family petitions and other related services. Responsibilities include preparing asylum applications and appearing at asylum hearings at the USCIS Asylum Office in Tustin, CA, as well as representing clients for all available remedies before USCIS and/or the immigration court and coordinating with staff and pro bono attorneys. The ALRP Immigration Attorneys may also supervise paralegals and clerical staff.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Provide legal representation to IILA’s Afghan clients.
- Provide in-person/remote consultation for clients including Asylum, EAD, Re-Parole, TPS, AOS and completion of SIV applications, and any other applicable relief.
- Prepare applications for clients and represent them in the applicable forms of relief sought.
- Prepare asylum applications and appear with clients at asylum interviews before USCIS at the Asylum Office in Tustin, CA.
- Prepare clients for their asylum interviews through mock interviews and practice sessions as needed.
- Prepare and submit TPS applications as well as complete SIV applications and family petitions.
- Under supervision of the Directing Attorney, s/he may supervise other clerical staff as assigned.
- Prepare and file supporting documentation for asylum and court cases, including FOIA requests.
- Maintain client databases, case notes, and files for caseload as determined with the Directing Attorney.
- Keep accurate records and maintain confidentiality.
- Perform other duties assigned, including but not limited to maintaining and filing client records at the IILA office.
- Juris Doctor Degree required and membership in California State bar. We will consider strong candidates waiting for bar results.
- Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto a definite advantage, but not required (interpreters will be provided).
- Prior experience in asylum, TPS and AOS cases and/or Special Immigrant Visas preferred.
- Experience in a non-profit environment preferred.
- Ability to accept and value diversity in a multi-lingual and cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to be flexible and to work nights and weekends, when necessary.
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and proof of current automobile insurance.
- Must provide proof of vaccinations received for COVID.
- Follow through on all duties and tasks assigned.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Intermittent or sometimes continuous sitting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling and twisting.
- Daily keyboarding and use of computer for a minimum of four hours.
- Must be able to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, and reach overhead.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
The salary range for this full-time exempt position is $75,000 per year.
Job Site Location:
This is primarily a remote position which will entail some meetings at IILA’s Corporate Office at 3845 Selig Place, Los Angeles as well as accompanying clients to asylum interviews at the Asylum Office in Tustin, CA or accompanying clients at other immigration hearing/interviews (AOS interviews). In-person meetings with clients may take place at a variety of locations, depending on the preference of the Immigration Attorney and clients.
International Institute of Los Angeles (IILA) is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are required to complete an IILA employment application. To download our application, please visit our web site at www.iilosangeles.org/about/careers/.
Please forward your resume, cover letter and application form to:
International Institute of Los Angeles
3845 Selig Place
Los Angeles, CA 90031